Salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp canola oil
2 small boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1-inch cubes
10 oz grape tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
3 cups organic chicken broth
3 oz frozen corn kernels
1 cup yogurt or creme fraiche
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped roughly
- Heat oil over medium-high heat. Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper and cook chicken in a pot until slightly browned. Approximately 4-5 minutes. Use wooden spoon to stir occasionally. Remove chicken and put in a bowl to the side.
- In the same pot, grill tomatoes over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook until there is a slight charring on the tomatoes, but make sure garlic and onions do not burn. Otherwise, it will be better. Grilling the tomatoes brings out the natural sweetness.
- Add the cumin, paprika, oregano, thyme, coriander seeds, salt and pepper to the mixture. Stir together.
- Add chicken broth and corn and bring it to a boil. Then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes for the flavors to come together.
- Take off heat and add yogurt to soup for a slight creaminess. Using an immersion hand-held blender or regular blender, purée the soup until it is smooth or to the texture you like.
- Add chicken back into the soup and put pot back on stove on low for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Serve generous helping in a bowl topped with cilantro and tortilla chips. I rarely have tortilla chips on hand so made my own strips using corn tortillas and frying them in canola oil.