Thursday, March 10, 2011

Experimenting with Herbs in My Drinks: Passionfruit-Thyme Martini

It's been a rough month for me with market and Fashion Week in New York.  So the night before I was supposed to head out to Paris for Fashion Week, I concocted myself a new drink to make my packing and house cleaning a little more fun.

There has been a rise with mixologists in the use of herbs in cocktails served at the bar.  I have been wanting to try this at home for quite a while now especially after having the basil martini in Jean-Georges Vongerichten's gorgeous and scrumptious new farm-to-table restaurant in New York, ABC Kitchen.

Just a note that martinis are ALWAYS best when made in individual quantities.  Yes, you can make a pitcher of this in advance but make sure to always taste before serving as measurements change when in larger quantities.  I hope that you enjoy trying my little experiment and makes a rough night all around better!

PASSIONFRUIT - THYME MARTINI
Serves 1


INGREDIENTS
6-8 fresh thyme leaves
1/2 tsp granulated sugar
1 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice
5-6 ice cubes
1 shot high-quality vodka (I used Reyka which is the world's first organic vodka hand-made in Finland and from the producers of Glenfiddich)
1/2 cup passionfruit juice

DIRECTIONS
  1. In a martini shaker, add thyme leaves, sugar and lime juice. With a muddler, crush the herb mixture. Only do this enough to release the aroma of the herbs.
  2. Add the ice cubes followed by the vodka and then the passionfruit juice.
  3. Shake vigorously for several minutes. Strain the martini into a glass.
  4. Garnish with a thyme leaf and serve.

1 comment: