Thursday, July 19, 2012

Spicy Moroccan Carrot-Kale Salad

Yes, I have been on a kale and spice kick lately as you can tell. From my spicy kale-pancetta pizza to my kale-parsley berry juices, never mind all my pasta with kale and kale chips I've been making. It has become a staple in my refrigerator.  In fact, I'm in a bit of a tizzy since my fridge is kale-free at the moment. The horror!!

For my Moroccan-themed dinner for my friend Maria, I decided to make a spin on the traditional Moroccan carrot salad with this spicy Moroccan carrot-kale salad as my side dish because she is as obsessed with kale and spice as I am. I decided to use the recipe from my favorite Taïm falafel truck (who I first introduced here) because I knew they wouldn't fail me.

This is such an easy and delicious make-ahead recipe! Since my dinner was on a weeknight, I knew I'd be short on time.  I made this the night before so the flavors could soak into the carrots and kale. If you love garlic and heat, you will love this recipe. I accidentally dumped more pimient d'espelette than the recipe called for, but it was perfect.  It has an intense garlicky flavor with a slow heat when you first bite into the carrot/kale. So addictive! If you don't watch yourself, you will just find your fork stabbing into air in the bowl. It is THAT good.

Thank you Taïm for my new favorite treat!

Serves 4

Adapted from Taïm

1 pound carrots, peeled & sliced 1/4"
1 cup kale, chopped into 1 inch pieces including stems
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoon cumin
3/4 tablespoon pimient d'espelette or hot paprika (increase/decrease according to your heat preference)
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground mixed peppercorns
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar

1. Place carrots & kale in a large pot of cold water and bring to a boil, cooking until slightly tender, approximately 10 minutes. 

2. Drain and place carrots in an ice-water bath until cool.

3.  In a large pan, sauté the carrot slices and kale in a single layer with 1 tbsp olive oil until slightly brown on both sides.

4.  In a bowl, add carrots, kale and remaining ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate overnight or at least up to 3 hours to allow flavors to come together.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yum! You'll have to introduce me to that truck when I'm there. It's funny b/c I was thinking of doing a twist on Moroccan carrot salad myself. As usual, great minds...